Monday, January 12, 2009

Andechs Monastery



Andechs, Munich Great Area, Germany

Today a colleague of mine told me about a very strong religious beer that he drunk in Munich. Actually I know what he is talking about. Let me tell you the story.

One time, when I was in Munich, I went to a 15th century Baroque Monastery located in Andechs. There are still Benedictine Monks living there. To reach the Monastery I had to walk up the hill. The way through the forest make me feel like in the 15th century :-) Unfortunately visitors are not allowed to get inside of the Monastery.

Nevertheless it is possible to visit the church :-)

Now comes part two of this story: the beer. As you know Monks used to fast during long periods in the Lenten Season. This abstinence only allowed bread and water. Soon they started to complement this diet with strong bear (liquid bread). Nowadays this bear brewed by the Benedictine Monks is very famous.




Path to the Monastary