Sunday, July 02, 2006

Feldherrnhalle
Hall of the Commanders


The Feldherrnhalle was a symbol of the honours of the Bavarian Army. It contains statues of military leaders Johann Tilly and Karl Phillip von Wrede. The central sculptural group was added in 1882, after the Franco-Prussian War.

The aim had been to create a focal point that would close off Ludwigstrasse and give the irregular Odeonsplatz a more ordered appearance.

The statues of two bayern lions flanking the stairway were added in 1906.

This was also one of the efforts by the Nazis to take over the Bavarian State, commonly referred to as the Beer Hall Putsch.